Sunday, September 22, 2013

Early bird catches what at the Academy?

So when I left you last, I mentioned Mom would be taking the Sheriff and I to the academy to visit Captain Half-Pint, Grandma, and Grandpa. First things first, the Captain and I get along fabulously although he makes sure we all know who is in charge. Of course, there was the standard sniffing and growling but after about 10 minutes, we were good.

Second, I love the Academy!! There was lots and lots of acres to sniff, run, and bark and I don't even need to stay on a leash because the entire area is fenced in by woods. Boy oh boy! The best part-Mom took us for a run and walks three times a day.

Third, life on the Academy is hard with very early hours. Grandma and Grandpa run the Academy like bootcamp and therefore we are up and running at 5 am! Can you believe that? Needless to say there were many afternoon naps (see above). Similarly to my foster family, we have a list of chores that have to be addressed before breakfast. Searching for squirrels, sniffing for new scents, barking at the birds, etc. Then after breakfast, we have to help clean up, take long walks, check for mail, make dinner, extract honey, etc. Busy, busy, busy.

Although we were at the Academy did not mean we were on break from training. Grandma worked with my barking and made sure I knew what "paw" meant; Grandpa tried to get me to play and howl both of which I attempted but so far, no luck. However, I did chase the Sheriff. It last about 10 seconds but it was long enough to make Mom stream tears of joy to see me not only sprint across the lawn for the first time but also chasing something other than squirrels. Yeah, I got a few treats out of that one!

Well, I'm pretty exhausted of three days at the Academy and all of the love I received from Grandma and Grandpa so I'll fill you in later on more details. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Licks and jumps!

Deputy Dougal

No comments:

Post a Comment