Thursday, October 31, 2013

Reminiscing

Greetings and Salutations (and Happy Halloween)

Two months ago today, I was enjoying the afternoon lounging around with my foster brothers waiting for my Mom and Dad to stop their work on the farm when out of nowhere, a car pulls into the driveway. Out step 2 humans and another white pup that looks a lot like me. Of course my foster brothers go nuts barking and slamming themselves against the windows; attempting to be the first ones to greet the intruders. A familiar voice, Mom has arrived and finally we are going to get to smell the newbies or at least I get to. Ha, finally in a pack of 4 I get to do something first! I give the new arrivals a once over but to be frank, I was more interested in smelling the yard, checking out the kitties, greeting Dad when he came up to say hello.

Little did I know how my life was going to change...again.

As I mentioned before, I had a rough start but all that changed with the arrival of my foster family. Suddenly I was surrounded by love and affection. I settled into a routine with my foster brothers all vying for Mom's lap and attention or watching sports with Dad (I have a little addiction to TV). Just as I had gotten comfortable with my role in the pack, I was introduced to a new family. They seemed nice enough if a little timid. The Sheriff wasn't as much interested in me as my foster brothers or the location of his Mommy. After an all too brief visit, the Sheriff and I were packed in the car to begin a new chapter in my life.

I cannot say it's been easy, leaving the first home where I had a family and adjusting to a new Mom and Dad but I think I've finally settled in. I have trained the new humans to meet all my needs-new toys, walks at least twice a day, comfy blankets, etc. The Sheriff and I are still working on our respective roles in the family hierarchy but that will come in time. While I am surrounded by love, I find myself thinking of my foster brothers and my Mom and Dad, missing them and their affection. Thank you for rescuing me Mom and Dad and for working with me in preparation for my new home. I miss you and love you bunches.

Now according to past vet records and Mom, I have a very special day tomorrow-it's my birthday (or at least it is the date given as my birthday). It also happens to be Mommy and Daddy's wedding anniversary (another reason they think I was meant to be theirs) so the weekend will be full of celebrations and fun! Hope everyone enjoys themselves and stays safe with the Halloween festivities.

Loves and Licks to all,

Deputy Dougal

No comments:

Post a Comment