Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Speak, Dougal, Speak

Happy Thanksgiving and Hanukkah everyone! Sorry for the delay in posting, but once again, the humans had other priorities and given they supply the food, I try to keep my complaining to a minimum.

That being said, I threw my first Deputy style temper tantrum last night. Unfortunately, Mom didn't get video or even pictures but I'll try my best to describe the story.

Picture it: The Homestead, 2013. Everyday at 4:30pm, pups from the neighborhood convene at the local park for what Mom calls "Puppy playdate." We run, sniff, mark, the works for about a half hour or until it gets too dark to see. Afterwards, all pups race back to their respective houses because we know it's chow time!!

Normally, Mom would give us our food and then she does chores, gets in a workout, cooks, continues working, whatever she needs to do before giving us her undivided attention. Padfoot usually gets impatient and will begin his high pitch barking (see earlier post where we serenaded Mom) and running around the house. Totally confused and little freaked out by all the noise, I will press myself against Mom or Dad until they are able to quiet the Sheriff down. Then last night happened. The Sheriff goes over to our "toy box" which between you and I is really my toy box because the Sheriff never plays with anything other than a bone or stick. Anyway he pulls out one of the tennis balls I brought in from the garage and proceeds to play with it. His play consists of planting the ball in the middle of the room and running around it, laying on his side with his two front paws trying to "kick" it, or playing keep away from the humans. After watching for like a second, I quickly run to Mom, put my paw in the air, and begin "speaking" or demanding that she immediately take the toy away from the Sheriff and give it to me. I am relentless in my pursuit for justice, roah roahing for several minutes and increasing the pitch level as high as I can until the Sheriff comes running over to me-I'm assuming to make sure I haven't turned into a squirrel or rat that can now be chased.

Mom calmly tries to explain to me that the Sheriff pulled out the ball first and that I have literally hundreds of more toys to play with-all for nothing because I want the ball, I want the ball, I want the ball!!! Finally, the Sheriff, having the attention span of a gnat, walks away from the ball to pursue other interests and Mom gives the ball to me. Well, she waited way too long to meet my demands and with tail held high, I walk away in disgust. That will teach her!

Deputy Dougal

No comments:

Post a Comment